Aurora at the Arctic Circle
Always wanted to make that awesome photo of the Northern Lights? You’d like to go and visit the Arctic Circle? Then join us on our best and most exclusive Aurora viewing trip in Yukon.
We’ll travel in to the center of the Aurora oval and stay near the Arctic Circle for 3 days. The drive north over the famous Dempster Highway, the only road that crosses the Arctic Circle in Canada, will give you the chance to explore the snow covered winter wilderness and experience the rare beauty of the northern mountains. The most breathtaking views in the Yukon are found along the Dempster Highway.
This trip is specifically designed for photography enthusiasts. Come and make your awesome photo of the Aurora Borealis.
Join us on our best and most exclusive Aurora viewing trip in Yukon!
|Available Departure Dates
8days / 7 nights
Price* CAD $ 2795
Nov 15 2014 to Mar 31 2015
* Prices are per person based on double occupancy, 5% GST extra, all transactions are in Canadian dollars
Participants: Max. 6
With our uncompromising small-group policy, we limit the number of travelers in each vehicle to below capacity, ensuring a more comfortable and more personalized
Tour begins and ends in Whitehorse
We'll greet you at the airport and transfer you to the Hotel in downtown Whitehorse. Meet your guide and the other participants for an information meeting. The rest of the day is at your leisure. (No meals included)
Start of our adventure trip to the north: We’ll drive along the Klondike Highway and stop en route to take pictures. We’ll arrive in Dawson City (540 kms / 340 miles) in late afternoon. After dinner we go to the Midnight Dome with beautiful Views of the Yukon and Klondike Rivers, and an unobstructed view to the north. Hopefully we’ll have our first encounter with the amazing Aurora Borealis. (Lunch included)
We're off on the road less traveled! We'll leave the last trappings of civilization behind (we are well equipped) and head north on the Dempster Highway with its unsurpassed views, overwhelming beauty and magnitude of the landscapes. We'll stop at various spots to marvel at the immense landscape. We reach Eagle Plains in late afternoon. Here we'll find the only hotel, gas station and repair services along the entire highway. Don't expect a luxury hotel, but practical and clean accommodations that we'll share with highway work crews, ice road truckers and worldwide travelers. (Lunch included)
The location just south of the Arctic Circle and the altitude offer an unrestricted view. If we are lucky we'll see the spectacle of light by the Northern Lights in the star spangled sky.
Today we're exploring winter wonderland at its best. We'll drive to the Arctic Circle Interpretative Display, with panoramic views of the Richardson Mountains. Shortly after, we'll reach the border with Northwest Territories. We'll take the time to explore and photograph the impressive winter landscape. Then we drive back to Eagle Plains for dinner. Weather permitting we can go back to the Arctic Circle to see the Aurora Borealis dancing.
(No meals included; you can order a bagged lunch at Eagle Plains Restaurant)
Today you can sleep in before we return to Dawson. Again the amazing views of the snow covered mountains along the road will keep you clicking away! In Dawson City we will go up to the Midnight Dome to see the Northern Lights. (No meals included; you can order a bagged lunch from Eagle Plains Restaurant)
On the drive back to Whitehorse the snow covered landscape, again, will not stop to amaze you. Don't put away your camera yet! Once in Whitehorse you'll check in at the hotel downtown. (No meals included)
We'll take you to the airport in time for your flight. Or spend a few days in Whitehorse and try ice fishing, snowshoeing, dog sledding or snowmobiling.
- Airport transfers in Whitehorse.
- 6 nights accommodation in hotels and motels.
- All transportation as per itinerary in safe and comfortable SUV (4WD).
- Arctic Circle certificate.
- Aurora certificate.
- Taxes, fees and licenses.
- Emergency equipment including satellite phone.
- Experienced driver / guide for the duration of the tour.
- Meals and beverages other then stated.
- Trip cancellation & medical insurance: We strongly recommend you purchase adequate insurance coverage at the time of booking. Your policy should cover injury, illness or death, trip cancellation, emergency medical, search & rescue, flight accident, travel accident, loss of baggage and personal effects.
- With our uncompromising small-group policy, we limit the number of guests in each vehicle to below capacity, ensuring a more comfortable and more personalized experience.
- Average temperatures at this time of winter are between -2° and - 24° Celsius (28 to -31 Fahrenheit), but extremes may be as low as -45° Celsius (-50 Fahrenheit). We ask you to bring adequate clothing to withstand these temperatures. Upon request you can rent a clothing package from Nature Tours of Yukon.
- Nature Tours of Yukon provides all necessary emergency equipment for traveling in winter conditions, including satellite phone.
- On this tour there is a possibility that there may be last-minute changes to the itinerary due to the nature of the excursion. We may experience unforeseen delays due to weather or other reasons. We'll do our best to provide an alternate program of equivalent importance and value, and of a similar nature.
- You will be required to sign a 'release of claims and waiver of liability' form prior to the departure of this tour.